Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, February 1, 2018

18 in 2018 and other matters

First up my finish for January as part of


which is Chinese Coins below - finished yesterday and
measuring 27" by 35"



another photo with my all time favourite
bowl, just the perfect shade of jade green.



Each elongated triangle was quilted individually which made for 
a lot of swishing the quilt around!

After finishing CC yesterday I moved on to a totally unrelated
project, hopefully as part of the next AHIQ invitational.
Some of you may remember this from quite some time back! 


Corner triangles were planned but
I wasn't happy enough with it to carry on, into the unfinished
drawer it went. 
Yesterday I fished it out and did a little unpicking


and I have an idea for using this central piece which I love.

Due to my mishap with the machine needle and other happenings
I've had a pretty slow two weeks and desperately need to get some
order into my quilting life - after all my word for the year is
BALANCE
so I should put it into action.
I've set a few days aside to do this and I am behind with 
writing down my thoughts on the Kaffe Fassett lecture,
that will be done for my next post - definitely!!

To end this post I must show you  photograph of a decayed stem
and flowers from my orchid, I love the beauty to still be found at
this stage


just look at those soft pastel colours!! A quiet quilt in the making perhaps.

Happy quilting and do visit
for lots of January finshes.


Maureen


14 comments:

Sally Trude said...

Your favorite bowl is perfect with your Chinese coin quilt. And wow, the faded orchid is lovely...time for someone to breed one that color.

Julierose said...

Beautiful Coins piece...love that jade color, too.
Your fading orchid is just beautiful...so soft...hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

What came first the Chinese Coins or the bowl? They are perfect together.

I like the dying stage of lots of flowers and plants too. They are just another round of interesting colors and shapes.

Janie said...

Hi Maureen, your jade bowl and your Chinese coins quilt compliment each other perfectly.
I like the four log cabin blocks without the borders too, you're onto something exciting
there.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Wonderful photo of your CC quilt & your bowl, inspiring!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great finish Maureen. Your color choices are amazing!

Leeanne said...

Nice finish of your Chinese coin piece. I agree about the spent flowers, still beauty to enjoy.

Cathy said...

When I first saw the thumbnail photo with the bowl at 18 in 2018 link I thought the bowl was part of the quilt and it looked like a big green (cheese)full moon against a glowing sky. Anyway, bowl or no bowl I love it - it positively glows.Congrats on the finish.
Dead orchids, I agree, aren't bad either!

Lynette said...

Maureen! I must have first looked at your 18 in 2018 linking from my phone, since I didn't leave a comment. Congratulations on that finish and on the work happening on the other UFO. Yes, the dried orchid branch sure is gorgeous, and does make great inspiration for a soft quilt.

O'Quilts said...

You are a talented quilter and photographer...and evidently gardener!!!

Pip said...

That binding really works with the quilt, when you told me about the binding fabric I wasn't sure it how it would look, but it looks fabulous, an excellent finishing touch. Despite being well past their best before the orchids still look quite beautiful

Kaja said...

Beautiful! And it goes so well with that bowl that I think you should display the two together. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your log cabins too.

Julie said...

Another gorgeous finish, that bowl is just perfect with it. I would love to see you make a quilt in such soft colours, means you can't use those gorgeous solids you bought the other day though.

gayle said...

I love your Chinese Coins - it gives me the biggest smile, which is now even bigger since you added that bowl!
I've been wanting to play with a color scheme like your faded orchid, but with just a soupcon of rosy red added as an accent. I'm interested to see what you make of it!