Waiting In The Wings

Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Back at the machine!!

After a difficult three weeks I finally feel I'm coming out of the fog
and ready for some action - simple action was the order of the day
yesterday.


First up a few more strip sets for
Freshly Squeezed - nice and easy.

Next in line using up a stack of left over batik strips,
I've seen many quilts using this simple block and decided to 
make a start, so quick and easy.



Below I have just a few blocks thrown willy nilly
up on the wall, not even trimmed yet, I have heaps to make so I'm
going to wait until I have enough for a decent size quilt. and
then start the time consuming part of placing in a pleasing
arrangement.


There were a few inches of the strip sets left over at the end
so trying to be more organized I'm cutting
these into 2 and 1/2" wide strips, they can go in my parts box.


I like the look of these on a black background, I found an old piece
of black felt and covered a padded board to photograph individual
blocks and bits and pieces.

Whilst I was in my miserable place an order of Tula Pink solids
arrived to cheer me 


and I just love the saturated colour  of these fabrics, in fact
I was so thrilled I promptly ordered more and given 
 the news from Free Spirit I'm pleased I did
as I read and heard that once these stocks are gone thats it,
until the dust settles. Reading a few lines today it seems that
the designers may have found a "new home".

I had notification that the Tula All Stars fabrics were in so
these should be on the way to me tomorrow.
It seems to be a case of "feast or famine" as the new range
from KF Collective may be released in March and
having seen a preview of these I am in
seventh heaven.

After this binge fest of fabrics I shall be very strong and
resist further buying!!

Due to my missing three weeks my poor garden has suffered somewhat,
weeds galore due to the heat and humidity and then pouring
rain.
A walk around this morning though found  two of my favourites were
flowering to cheer me,


a lovely dahlia given to me by a neighbour all of
32 years ago
and below my spiky bromeliad, touch the leaves at your peril!!


I think I have my colour mojo back now, so until next time
happy quilting!

Maureen

19 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Oh, those pink flowers are so beautiful!! I'm glad to see you are back playing with the fabric stash.

Unknown said...

Great to see you back playing with fabric. Those Tula Pink solids look very lush.

Louise said...

Welcome back, Maureen! I'm so glad to see you playing with fabric and flowers again. Oh, those brights are so wonderful. I can see why you just had to have them :) I hope you have a great week.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Hooray Maureen! You're back. The colors of the fabric and flowers are a good sign of spring for me. The first thing that I did after getting home from the hospital was to buy yards of Kaffe for the colornspiration. I love the simple blocks. I know I save that pattern somewhere.

Julierose said...

Happy to hear you are feeling better and back to your sewing. What lovely flowers--such vivd hues...hugs, Julierose

Debbie said...

So glad to see you are at it again. Just adore those batik bricks blocks.....like a sixteen patch, I bet they are addicting. And lots of luscious colors of new fabric to enjoy, so you are set to have a good time sewing. Your flowers are just beautiful!

Marly said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. Your flower photos are cheering me up anyway! Here the plant world is very sombre. I like the way you're joining fabrics and building blocks with no particular purpose in mind yet. Very satisfying I imagine.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Doing a happy dance after reading this post -- so glad you are fondling fabrics and sharing flowers!!

gayle said...

So very very glad to see you back!!! I'm also glad to see you have lots of pretty fabrics to play with, and flowers blooming cheerily in the garden! That bromeliad is flat-out gorgeous!

Barb Neiwert said...

Ooooh, those pink flowers are SO pretty! Especially when our landscape is all white, lol. And some of the solids in that bundle mimic the colors in those flowers. This is why we quilters love fabric so much - it mimics nature! Glad you are getting your mojo back!!

Sally Trude said...

Glad you're feeling better! I am making a block similar to your lovely six patch ones--and I enjoy it so much because of the interlocking seams. Simple pleasures!

Janie said...

Hi Maureen, I'm glad you're back.
Your Tula Pink solids are thrilling! As is your pink dahlia/bromeliad.
It looks like you're off to a good start with the 'pleasing arrangement' of your blocks too.

Leeanne said...

Glad the sewing is keeping you going. I may have myself a couple of yummy Kaffe Bundles :-)

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Nice to see a few batiks popping up! Glad you are back at the machine, a little sewing keeps me sane!

Julie said...

Glad to see you are feeling better, lots of lovely colour again in your sewing, that dahlia is just beautiful.

Clare M said...

Lovely to see you back Maureen. Nice quilt and simple is good. I believe another fabric company is going to pick up Free Spirit. Good news. Shopping is very therapeutic and is highly recommended when needing a tonic. LOL.

Kaja said...

So much beautiful colour, both in your projects and in that big stack of solids! I'm glad you are back sewing.

Raewyn said...

Good to see the sewing spirit returning Maureen...it looks like fabric old and new is recharging you. I hope you stay well so you can enjoy play with your stash.

O'Quilts said...

Wonderful news...up and back in shape. Thank you for your uplifting comments on my blog. I did not know Tula did nice solids like those...hmmmm fabric..so wonderful..xo