Waiting In The Wings

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Back in my Happy Place!!

Computer issues sorted and new blogger working OK for me,
so yes, here I am in my happy place


ready to look through my Kaffe books and re-visit quilts flagged
as possibles to make some time ago, my patchwork notebook from my husband for jotting
ideas, a Laurel Burch mug gifted to me from a local
patchwork shop many years ago, packed with pens and pencils and last,
but not least  my beautiful bright mug rug gifted from 
a little while ago. She said she thought I would like the colours and she was so right!!

I have all the books by Kaffe apart from two, my first love when I came to quilting 
were Amish quilts, then I discovered KF fabrics and books and my fate was sealed!


However, I'm also a fan of other designer fabrics and above a few new ones
 from
and the top three from

I'm still making progress with Green Diamonds and my Postage Stamp squares
and also using up some of the strips shown in my last post I've made a start
on a Lego quilt, three blocks only right now.



In the planning stage is a quilt from this book


by Kathy Doughty

this particular quilt has the title 'Madness'
and you can see why


there is no pattern but ideas for
materials, preparation, elements to include and assembly.

On the subject of books I made a purchase last week of the book below
by Sue Ross


first glance at a review had me thinking it was going to be totally focused on
applique/broderie perse
but looking at the few photos shown there I was wrong. 
I have now added four more quilts to my waiting list.
It's an expensive purchase  published by Quiltmania but I''m sure
it may be possible to check with your local library, they may have it on their shelves soon.

Apologies for this long post, I think my mojo is back again and you are all
suffering the consequences in this post.

Following a a medical appointment on Monday at the surgery
 husband and I called in the delicious book shop in the main street,
we are regular visitors and customers but our intention that day was to just browse,
plans are sometimes made to be broken, mine were because heading back to the exit 
I came upon the most beautiful book I think I have ever seen.


Adriana is a botanical artist and each page not only
has a particular flower but the opposite page is given over to a wealth
of information about the plant.

The cover just gives you a tiny hint of what you find inside the book.

I think I had better disappear now but I have two more photos, one of a camellia 
and one of a naughty tuxedo kitty who is very curious and decided to
spend a little time in the laundry room


and this is what I found!
Don't worry, she wasn't in any danger,  no power connected
and I am always very aware of checking out the dryer and washing machine doors
before using. This is the first time I have ever seen her do this.

Last photo, the first Camellia Japonica to flower in my garden this Winter


and goes by the name of Dr Clifford Parks.

To those of you who have managed to make your way to this point without
falling asleep enjoy the rest of your week.
Keep safe and well.

Maureen

17 comments:

Julierose said...

Great selection of reading materials you have on hand! That Sue Ross book looks interesting...
I like how your lego piece is coming...are you starting with one long strip or piecing bits as you go?
that one is on my list...hugs from afar Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

cats just seem to get into everything don't they. The quiltmania book looks interesting - I think I might have looked through that one on their site but thought I have enough books now with patterns marked and didn't get it

Debbie said...

Wonderful. Glad you found some mojo. You sound much better and your books are a delight.

Sharon Leahy said...

So glad you're back ... I always enjoy your flower and quilt pictures.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I would never fall asleep reading one of your posts! They are always filled with wonderful color.
I looked at the quilt Madness too and and contemplated trying to make something like it. Maybe it is time to revisit that book.
I don't find many of Kathy Doughty's fabrics here in the US but I have found a few and purchased them. They are mostly ones with birds on them.
Your lego blocks are looking good too.

FlourishingPalms said...

Wow! You sure have a pile 'o Kaffe books! I've never looked at one, nor have Kaffe fabrics. Well, except for winning a blog giveaway of four hand-appliquéd blocks made with Kaffe fabrics. I bought Kaffe fabric to finish them into a quilt top and then never quilted it. Maybe Kaffe fabrics don't speak to me because they are florals - prints I've never been a fan of. I tend to gravitate toward geometric prints or solids. But, it's apparent you love color, as do I. Enjoy your reemerging interesting in making again. It's a good feeling!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Lots of super eye candy today. I wish I knew where to start doing a Kaffe quilt- too many quilts to see clearly. Like the Lego quilt. Love strips. Flowers are just the best.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Not a bit of sleepiness here - your post today is marvelous! Color and interesting things and more color. Hooray for the lego blocks and the Madness quilt looks interesting!

Louise said...

Oh, that Madness quilt is divine! I can see why you want to make it. It's like Gypsy Wife on steroids. Or maybe she's on LSD, ha ha! So glad to read your upbeat and happy post, and see your kitty's sweet face :)

Leeanne said...

Always an abundance of colour on your blog! Your cat....how hilarious! How do like the new blogger when reading blogs? I don't like that you don't go directly to the blog, you get redirected thereby adding another set in the process.... bit off putting.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I have the Adding Layers book. It's amazing! I'll have to look into Sue Ross. Sounds interesting! The Lego quilt is looking great! I'm still getting used to the new blogger. I think I'm catching on. We'll see!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

My fate was sealed too when I discovered my first Kaffe book while on vacation years ago. And that was even before he was designing his own fabrics. I have refrained from buying all the books though and only have a select few. That flower book cover is so so beautiful that I can only imagine the inside pages. Enjoy all your reading materials.

Ann said...

I have read Kathy's Adding Layers and liked the guidance on Madness. Not sure if I'd ever make it but it's always fun to see how people improvise. We also had a cat who liked to nap in the dryer and like you, I became accustomed to checking before using.
I'm glad you are well and ready to get back to quilt making.

Pip said...

Happy to hear that your computer issues are sorted and new Blogger is working ok for you. I love the Kathy Doughty and Heather Ross fabrics, they will play nicely with your Kaffes. Are there still two bookshops in the main street? from memory they both have good selections but one has a more eclectic selection.

audrey said...

You have some wonderfully yummy fabrics pictured here! So jealous.:) I love Kathy's books, used to buy every single one.

Marly said...

Great fabrics you've found. I must try and track those quilt blocks down; Adding Layers looks fascinating.

Julie said...

Ok, I have just requested Petal from the library, unfortunately they don't have the quilting book. What a fabulous pile of KF books, even if you never make anything from them, they are always so inspiring to browse through.