Waiting In The Wings

Monday, July 27, 2020

Guess what I found in my studio today


No escaping the fact that a squirrel is around and just
as I'm busy with my Green Diamond quilt!


I'm putting this together in two halves, easier than hauling the whole quilt-in-progress
to the machine and then the ironing table.
Left hand side done, first long strip for the right ready and waiting for tomorrow.
I'm really happy with how this is progressing.
Close up below and hooray, the points seem to be meeting up just fine!


The appearance of the new squirrel means that the Lego blocks will be
on hold until Wednesday, six blocks right now just pinned on the wall.
 I'm loving this project, lucky that I had heaps of strips cut 
because my die cutter with three convenient strip sizes has patches
of rust on the blades. Careful use of a fine nail file seems to have
worked somewhat, I can get a clean cut now but only with
two layers of fabric.


So, moving on from Lego and onto the squirrel.


Today saw the start of the centre of a Medallion quilt, more elements need to be added
before I can stitch these together.
I think I may be hooked on strips because there are more to come,
a few already cut


and more to cut tomorrow


and these will all be going into the Medallion quilt mentioned
early in this post.
You might just guess that my new Sue Ross book  
Patchways
 is the cause of this visit from the squirrel.
I see more squirrels on the horizon.

Maybe I need to slow down a little, I'm on a high right now
and don't want to go down the other side of the hill.

Gardening?? Not at the moment but the weeds are going
crazy with all the rain, but flowering at the moment
are the Japanese Anemone, I think they're also known
as Windflowers.


I had a couple of other mentions but they too will have to wait
until my next post because DH tells me the apple pie and cream
is ready for the eating!! 
Be seeing you.

Stay safe in this upside down world of ours right now.

Maureen


18 comments:

Pip said...

Green Diamonds is looking fantastic Maureen, good idea to make it in two halves, the large quilts can be a real pain to handle sometimes. I'm liking the start of your medallion quilt, I look forward to seeing more.

Debbie said...

You are just on a high, you are flying above the clouds! The diamonds look grand. And all those strips....I say you can't go wrong with a strip quilt. Keep feeding those squirrels!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, Maureen, I don't think I can take all of that color in one post! Love, love the diamonds- you certainly know how to add those colors in the proper row. Just looking at all those gorgeous fabrics makes me weak in the knees. The strips are fantastic. You deserved the pie and ice cream.

Julierose said...

I really love the Green diamonds...good idea to quilt in halves...
I like the colors waiting to be cut in that pile of fabrics--very soft colors...hugs from inside--hot today Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am a fellow strip-lover. Your colors are always so wonderful - hooray for squirrels!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such lovely bright colors - I love all of the quilts

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love your green diamond quilt. A friend of mine made a bed size red one after seeing it in one of Kaffe's early books. It is not always easy getting the points to match so I'm glad it is working well for you.

Louise said...

I can see why that squirrel slipped into your studio! What a fun medallion that will be. Interesting to learn about your die cutter getting rusty. Rust is a constant problem on the boat. What brand cutter do you have?

Cathy said...

Green Diamonds looks like a beautiful garden with rows of flowers.

I like strip quilts but no strip cutter here except for me! And I am a bit rusty!

I had to go check out that Sue Ross book since I'd never heard of her. My goodness I can see why you will be making some of those delightful projects!

I have pink Japanese Anemone but they probably won't be in bloom for a few more months.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Wow, I can understand the squirrels - each of your projects are so beautiful and tempting. As is the apple pie and ice cream!

Julie said...

Loving your green diamonds,it is such a cool calming palette. I also love those white Japanese anemone, pity they spread so much.

Ann said...

Your green diamonds are wonderful but so is the string star medallion. Using strings/strips is so seductive. They add more texture than I'd ever realized. Even more so with your fabulous prints as their "parent."

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love both the green diamonds and the string star idea. I must try & order that quilt book from the library.

Linda said...

All fantastic projects, you are certainly on a roll, Maureen. The Japanese anemone is beautiful.

audrey said...

Yes! to all the projects on the go right now! So wonderful to take advantage of real motivation and energy and these all look simply amazing.:)

cspoonquilt said...

The colors of the top project remind me a bit of Rousseau color scheme. Jungles and tigers and tropical forrest. beautiful color scheme!

gayle said...

That's a lovely squirrel you've got there!

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm a pushover for fabric strips these days. So many things can be done with them! Not only your beautiful Lego quilt, and those spider web blocks, but I'm finding them great for weaving a rag rug. Thanks for sharing your pretties!