Waiting In The Wings

Monday, August 22, 2022

Just another manic Monday

 The post heading is tongue in cheek as there is presently nothing manic on Monday nor any other day at my place - I will fill you in shortly.

Remember I was busy making blocks for the Slashed Squares quilt for eldest grandson, last week I reached the required 25 blocks, I was also busily tidying and sorting fabric and I carried that through to a re-arranged layout all ready to really gets busy again.  Photos of the blocks below, this was the best I could achieve right now due to this,














so here we have top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right

I do have a reasonable photo of the beach at low tide


and thanks to another fall Wednesday in the house my right lower arm is encased as in the first photo.
Maneouvering around a chair I lost balance, went down and landed heavily smack on the backside!!
One leg tucked underneath (luckily no damage there) and my right arm - you guessed - outstretched breaking my fall.
Result badly bruised coccyx and sacrum, not fractured as initially thought, right wrist - fractured scaphoid bone, right shoulder n o broken bones but ultrasound Wednesday to see if further damage to the already torn tendon. End result a lot of pain in the affected areas, can  use fingers a little at one time with the r hand but my left now has to come into play - you will remember this was badly broken in January and is plated with only 70% use. Not a happy quilter right now and passing on thinking about the way forward.

It has taken numerous spells at the keyboard to write this in small blocks of time. Hopefully will be back again soon with a real  post. Will be reading your posts but may not be able to comment regularly.

Happy quilting

Maureen






15 comments:

Nancy J said...

I am amazed that you can type at all.I am trying with one finger on my left hand and it takes ages. Love the blocks, they look wonderful.

Julierose said...

Ohmygosh--just rest and get better--don't worry about commenting--I'll keep you in my thoughts, Maureen--take care now hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

Oh, Maureen! I can't believe it. I'm sending more positive vibes and good cheer your way and hoping you have a speedy recovery. Seems the hits just keep on happening at your place.

I have to say that your Slashed Squares quilt is fabulous and I'm amazed at what you accomplished. That quilt alone is full of good cheer! Lucky grandson!

MissPat said...

So sorry you've had another fall with fractured bones. Maybe you need a bubble wrap suit to wear when you move about. I know you're sick of resting up, but it looks like that's the best way to get back on track. Healing thoughts being sent your way, Maureen.
Pat

loulee said...

I hope you mend soon. ((Hugs))

Quiltdivajulie said...

No . . . . . . just when you were getting back to things. I'm am so sorry! Please don't worry about blog comments - we totally get it. Focus those energies on healing and moving forward a bit at a time. DO take care. Sending gentle virtual hugs.

O'Quilts said...

OMG Bad luck keeps on visiting you...Carry on, I walk with you on thi s crazy road xoxo

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, no, Maureen! No more falls! You are going to have wrap yourself in pool noodles to withstand life. Gorgeous blocks you did sew. So sorry for your latest setback.

Kaja said...

Ouch! You have the worst luck and I am very sorry to hear that you are out of action again. Take care and, as Julie says, don't worry about blog comments. Maybe just allow yourself a little gentle fabric stroking.

gayle said...

Oh, dear! If I could help you heal faster, I would surely do it! Rest and let yourself mend!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your fabric combinations are great. You need someone to come in and rotary cut those blocks into sections for you.
Our balance as we get older is definitely a challenge and when you start to go down, there is nothing you can do about it. I worry about the wrists and hands because we automatically put out that arm to break the fall.
Healing happens when sleeping so get lots of rest.

audrey said...

Please don't worry about responding to the comments! Just take care. So sorry for your string of misfortune.:)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What you have described Maureen, is my nightmare worry...falls. They can be life changing at my age now, 71 so I do my best to be as careful as possible. But accidents happen and sometimes so very easily. I got pulled to the ground by my dog last fall and hurt my chest which seemed to take ages to heal. You poor dear, I do hope you are not in a lot of pain. You are going to have to be a good patient and give yourself as much time as possible to heal properly. Hugs, :D

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh my goodness. So sorry for your tumble! I've never broken, torn, or strained anything, so I can't fully imagine what that's like, but I completely sympathize. Being in pain is not how we want to live, nor is the frustration of wanting to create and sew, and not being capable. I'm terribly sorry this happened to you. Be gentle with yourself, to allow healing.

Juliana said...

I join in others who are sending good thoughts and wishes through the air to you. I saw echoed in several comments the fear of falling as we get older. Wanda said that healing happens while we sleep and rest, so I hope you will nurture your body by welcoming some extra rest. Best wishes...
Juliana