Waiting In The Wings

Friday, September 2, 2022

A sweet Spring day

The first day of Spring arrived yesterday here in New Zealand. Such a beautiful sunny day, blue skies,  birds singing, the scent of freesias just blooming and I felt a true lightness of spirit and a return of energy. Isn't it amazing that each season has its special memories, mine are definitely of Springtime as a youngster in England.  

I took a few photos of the first Spring flowers in the garden, I'll show them at the end of the post.

Progress with Slashed Squares has been made thanks to another lighter splint, these were already cut as necessary before my fall. I have just four sewn up so far and the colours are somewhat brighter I feel in 'real life'. Something to deal with in my settings I think.








There are a few more on the wall whilst I play around to find combinations that I'm happy with, one that doesn't excite me is this one below, again the block is dulled down but I think the blue will have to go! This is still in four parts wth threads untrimmed

Whilst having to take a break from my quilting, housework, gardening and so on, I've had time to think!!
Gradually it dawned on me that I had too many thoughts racing along in my brain preventing me from  sleeping, I was constantly worrying about everything. Many quilting projects are whirling around, most are ones I'd really like to make a start on in the coming months  and also there are some which are languishing in their respective drawers. I've begun projects without truly thinking through  and which I actually now don't like and don't know why I began them, anyone else have these problems? My unwanted 5 large bags of scraps (I still have two tubs more which I'm keeping) and old books and projects are going to be given to the local school and hospice shop in the village. Boy do I feel better after making a decision!

On to my garden, the early flowers are just opening, wish you could smell the perfume from the freesias,


the forget-me-nots are white ones which suddenly appeared, they're now covering quite a large area, 


Clivias are blooming and providing fodder for the snails,


and where would we be without lemons freshly picked from the tree,


mustn't leave out one special garden inhabitant below

he visits every morning and sits on the decking rail by the dining area window driving poor Leila crazy, soon as he sees us put out the two apple halves he heads into the garden.

Oh, I forgot my two new pieces of fabric, the local shop still had these on their shelves and they've always been favourites of mine


so one metre of each came home with me.

That's all from me at the moment, enjoy the early days of Spring or Autumn and Happy Quilting.

Maureen





12 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh those blocks!! the fabrics you are using are so beautiful and this one will be just like your garden!!! Love it!!!

Nann said...

The blocks are a great way to show off those bold prints! What species is the bird? (I live in Illinois.)

MissPat said...

I'm glad to see you've been able to do a little sewing. We are heading into autumn, but the temps are still quite warm. But it won't be long before the sweaters come out and the garden shuts down.
Pat

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your blocks are beautiful. I think the blue will be ok if you pair those 2 dark corners with 2 different light corners. A little dull spot here and there makes the bright ones shine brighter.

Autumn starting here, plants going into their bright colors before winter and some plants dying back.

Julierose said...

I totally get that "monkey mind" when trying to fall asleep--so easy to fall into that isn't it?
I like your slashed blocks...neat fabrics...hope you continue to do well
hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Editing ideas and releasing yourself from the stress of keeping track is a very good thing. I work at it as much as I can to keep my mind less cluttered. BEAUTIFUL photos today - both the fabrics and the gardens. So much glorious color.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Wonderful colourful blocks Maureen! I'm the oppersite to you... I love thinking about fabric & projects when I go to sleep, to keep my mind off other issues!

FlourishingPalms said...

How nice that you're able to a little piecing. Your blocks are busily pretty, with lots to look it. I'm glad for you to have unburdened your mind a little by unburdening yourself of some of your sewing room guilt in the form of UFOs, books, and scraps. I wish I was nearby to take some scraps off your hands. I have so few anymore (except for solid fabrics) that I don't have enough to make another Sea Glass quilt without cutting into yardage. Anyway, I'm glad to see you appreciating your change in season. Spring has always been a favorite of mine too. As for your freesia... I didn't know what it was until I visited Australia. I've never smelled anything like it. I love it! Keep drawing in big breaths of that awesome scent, and think of me wishing I could too.

Ann said...

It's a blessing that you are able to sew again. Your fabric choices make these blocks. I agree with Wanda that some quieter ones make the bright ones shine. A bit of rearranging will perfect everything.
Yes. I've spent several years decreasing my stash. Many old blocks, leftover tops, and scraps became baby quilts either for family friends or the local hospital. Donating to the school and hospice shop is even better. They always need good stuff and it clears the way for you to work on the ones you really like.
Now I need to really consider what I start. More selectivity at the beginning for both of us.

Janie said...

Thanks for sharing your spring flowers, Maureen, especially the white Forget Me Nots!
And I like your Slashed Square blocks, I'm glad to hear you were able to make good progress.

Judy Martin said...

Your bold use of prints is inspiring. xo

audrey said...

These blocks look so fun! I always admire your fabric combinations! And good for you getting rid of some overbearing scraps etc.:)