Waiting In The Wings

Saturday, October 22, 2022

Slow and Steady

Well, I'm certainly slow and steady at the moment!  Three projects in the works right now but not getting along as quickly as I should like - better time management is called for I think.

Just two more rows of my Slashed Squares quilt need to be sewn together but instead of pressing on I decided to do a little more fabric arranging, not a good move in some respects but in others it's resulted in  finding a project from two years ago. 

Found hidden in the bottom of a box tucked away at the back of the cupboard was a container of 2 and1/2" squares, a number of squares stitched into fours and one 16 patch square.

Below we have a shockingly untidy collection of squares


a number of the four patch strips


and the 16 patch
 

I just couldn't remember cutting or stitching these but felt they must be reasonably recent. After sitting a while I did recall this was after seeing a post from quiltdivajulie and her quilt Bemused in January 2020,  the link will take you straight to the post. I fell in love with her quilt and decided there and then to make one - you can see I didn't actually get very far at the time.

 Taking the bull by the horns I headed straight to the machine and made a start but after a while realised not all the squares were equal, some were a smidgen out so the seams weren't always matching up. Thinking not good enough, begin again with new squares and perhaps Leila could use my efforts so far for her own quilt!!!


This isn't the traditional light square, dark square but just whatever came out of the box was stitched together. However, I love it anyway and I'm quite sad that I wasn't careful enough with my cutting.

In between sorting and sewing I made a start on ditch quilting long strips on Northern Lights. Next step will be hand quilting in the ombre patches.


A few more fabrics have been added to my stash


Bold Blooms from Kaffe Fassett
and Hibiscus below from Philip Jacobs


That's all from me for now, we've just had a message from our eldest son to pop across the road to his place, grand-daughter has put together a platter of tasty eats for 5.00pm, who could refuse that! See you soon and Happy Quilting.

Maureen




5 comments:

Nancy J said...

5 p.m. goodies, even KF fabrics can wait, what glorious colours there.

Julierose said...

Nice to hear you are sewing once again--I like those little squares piece--so bright and cheerful.. nice work on this..hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

I absolutely LOVE the KF squares sewn together "willy-nilly" - I think I need to use some quiet time cutting squares from my crumbs and small pieces to do the same as a leader ender project. Happy you are slow and steady and sewing!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm wondering if you aren't being too hard on yourself about every corner not matching. With a busy quilt like that would it really show? Maybe just take out a seam occasionally as you see it is a little too large and just eliminate the too small squares. If you set a small ruler next to your machine you can lay each square on top of the 2.5" section and see if it is OK before you add it. The piece you have sewn is beautiful.

Ann said...

I hate when my things don't line up, too. Good for you for 1) finding this old project, 2) trying to start again, and 3) passing it on. So much better than setting it back on the shelves.