Waiting In The Wings

Friday, October 28, 2022

Stunning Surprise

 If you read my last post we were just heading across the road to visit son and family for a 5.00pm platter of goodies and what a surprise I had! Sunny day sitting out on the balcony, cool wind began to blow so I was asked would I like a jacket or quilt/blanket to keep myself warm, accepted.

Couldn't believe my eyes when out Matt came with this quilt  below draped over his arm


I may have shrieked - can't remember but what a thrill to see and handle this old quilt. All hand stitched apart from someone must have machined around the cream ?binding and stitched over the hand quilting.

It's quite large and I'll go back and measure. A friend of son and his then wife were given this quilt from a friend as their wedding present, I knew they had been gifted a quilt but I didn't realise that it was an old one. Its definitely hand stitched and quilted.

Doesn't seem to have any batting, if it originally did then it's become so thin  that it can't be felt. Just a cream backing. Cotton fabrics with the tiny tartan squares having a taffeta sort of feel, one is torn so I'll have a peek. You will notice that one block is stitched in upside down - I didn't until I came to begin this post. I have a few photos below of blocks.



sorry this one is upside down



The photo below shows a corner with the faded yellow border which is not even width at all, narrower in places then becoming wider further along.




 As mentioned above the hand stitching and the overstitching with machine can be seen clearly.  No makers name or any sort of label on the back. This was bought in Alabama, Matt's friend was working in America at the time, he will try and make contact  to establish where in Alabama she found it.

I love quilts, especially bright and bold as you well know, I look at older quilts in books and have never been very excited by them before but as I handled this quilt, thinking about the maker and the length of time she would have been stitching, using whatever pieces of fabric she could find, I was enormously moved and felt so privileged to gently handle it. I shall be 'visiting' said quilt again soon!!

If any of you have thoughts on the age of the quilt, or any other ideas, please do share them with me.

Back to my sewing haven right now, back soon.

Happy Quilting everyone.

Maureen


12 comments:

Nancy J said...

Maybe Google the fabrics, this is a treasure, and the hours, poor lighting, fitting in the stitching with all the house chores as well, no mod cons then.And so loved. What a delight for you.

Julierose said...

Isn't that a magical find? I love how old quilts feel--so soft to the touch.
I would be great to find out what you can about its provenance. Meanwhile--it is a super gift.
Hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

What a lovely quilt! Love the texture and the colors. Maybe because I saw so few quilts as a kid, a vintage one like this makes me weak in the knees. Thanks for sharing.

loulee said...

A beautiful quilt. Thank you for sharing.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a beauty! To me it looks like the fabrics span quite a few years - some older but others not as old. It appears to be a utility quilt as opposed to a “for good” quilt which to me is even better. You might check online to see if Alabama has a state quilt project website - if they have photos you might be able to do some comparisons.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes, a beautiful old quilt! And not something we see often here in NZ.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Such a gorgeous quilt! I love seeing that texture and wish I could touch it!

FlourishingPalms said...

I have great respect for old quilts and the women who made them. It's always disappointing though that most of them never labeled them, at least to put their own name on them. If you really want to know more about the quilt, you should look for a quilt historian. Oftentimes it's fascinating to hear about the information they're able to deduce from the quilt. The only thing I know for sure is that the quilt age is determined by the newest piece of fabric in it. If someone mended or added to the quilt using fabrics from the 2000s, then it's a 2000 quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is a beauty - Love the detailed shots of the blocks!

Janie said...

Thanks for sharing your photos! That quilt is a classic beauty!

Ann said...

What a beauty! The feel of old quilts is magically soft and something I don't get with my machine quilted ones. They age so well, don't they? I'm glad Matt is using and enjoying this treasure.

O'Quilts said...

Oh, my heart ...no words...Just lovely xoxoxo