Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, August 15, 2024

A little progress

Only one more panel completed for Roundabout! Life has been pretty busy here with all manner of  happenings so time at the machine has been limited. Here's a photo of the present layout below, sadly not level because I couldn't quite reach the top RH side to pin, I'll deal with that this afternoon.


The strips here are 2 and 1/2" wide and 40 and 1/2" long, 10 in each panel. The original design concentrated on basically using just two colours, plain and small patterned fabric in shades of red and green, I decided on something different. 

My original idea was to mix all colours of strips but after finishing up the top panel I decided to try and go with the same layout for each of the four. I've changed up a few of the fabrics when I found I sometimes only had one strip, you can see the ones I substituted where necessary but still keeping to the colour layout.

 The design is from the book by Stuart Hillard  chock full of excellent designs to use up scraps.



My only other quilt related item is a  piece of Art Gallery Fabric - design from the Charlotte range,  luckily I spotted this online 1.6 metres so a good amount to work with.


Here in New Zealand we are officially enjoying the last month of Winter, Spring is around the corner come September. Down in the garden  the freesia are beginning to put on a performance and it's a delight to walk past them with their beautiful scent.


I can see that dreaded oxalis weed trying to take over, somehow I need to get out and weed pretty soon. I  shall be going solo for some of the time dealing with this chore and only around 15 minutes at one time, husband is in a bad way with one of his hips and up for replacement surgery so guess who will be in charge here!!

Lunch is calling - potato and leek soup with kumara sourdough bread, a nice thick toasted slice. Back in a few days, all being well.

Maureen

8 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I had never heard of that book. I see it is available from a lot of the book re-sellers here in the US. The freesia blooms are so pretty. The floral shops use that a lot in mixed bouquets because it lasts so long in a vase.

Julierose said...

Oh yum: potato leek soup--one of our favorites too!!:)))
I like how your strips are coming together; I am still making lego strips -- I like to have a lot before I put together more blocks/slabs.
Hugs, Julierose

Robin said...

Your quilt looks lovely. I like the use of the same fabric on the outside edge with varied strips as you go in. Very pretty. The Art Gallery fabric is a great find. I can smell the freshness of Freesia in my mind. We are watching summer wane here. We still have warm days but I can tell by the slant of the sun that things are changing.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving all this Kaffe colour! I'm not familiar with the 'roundabout' quilt, looking forward to seeing more.

loulee said...

That looks like a great book, I might look out for it. My freesia are still only green leaves.

FlourishingPalms said...

It's lovely to see what you're sewing, and those scrappy blocks are looking great! 40" long though... I bet it's a little challenging to keep them straight. Looks like you're doing a good job of it. The book looks intriguing. I guess I'll always like making a scrap quilt, seeing how abundant scraps are. Flowers - fabric and IRL! - are pretty. I can imagine the scent of freesia, which I've only every smelled once. Divine. Sorry you'll be carrying the household burden for a while. Keep yourself well!

Ann said...

I've never heard of this book either but will look around since Wanda says several are available online here. Your color choices work beautifully. I like changing some strips out but keeping the color family the same. I wish it was the end of summer here. At least the horrible heat wave has dissipated. My zinnias are bleached out from the sun but I have another set coming up soon. It will be hot here till November. My oxalis comes up early spring and again in the fall when little else is blooming. It doesn't seem to choke out the other plants so I let it be since it sets nitrogen.

Janie said...

Beautiful color! and progress. I like your Art Gallery Fabric, the yellow is amazing. And Freesia is a delight!