Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Playtime almost over - AHIQ

Last post I had two blocks posted, these were free cut/mprov from
the book by 
Sujata at Cultural Fusion Quilts blog

I needed to square the blocks up even though they were free hand cut
initially and then I decided to set them in a tradiontal
manner with plain sashing and borders.

I guessed at 2 and 1/4" sashing and 4 and 1/2" borders (I cheated on  one or two!) and I am off
around a couple of the blocks and  need to trim up the borders - they were
semi-freecut!!! I've cropped for the shot below.


My thoughts are that I really do need to unpick and straighten around the blocks
with a ruler, if I hadn't set them this way the uneven bits
wouldn't have bothered me, but they do here!
Of course I could carry on working this and lose some of the outer borders
with more free cut pieces - something to think about.

In addition to linking with
Kaja and Ann
see the button for AHIQ on my sidebar.

I'll post to Cultural Fusion Quilts blog later.

17 comments:

Linda said...

Gorgeous colours in your blocks. Setting them against the white sashing really makes them pop!

Sew Quilt Designs said...

Love the style and fabrics are great :)

Nancy J said...

The sashing sets them off so well, and they look good set that way.

Kaja said...

As always your colours are tremendous. I particularly like the yellow-y bit in the top left block and the fabric with the circle in the third blocks in rows 2 & 3 - they just add a little disturbance amongst all the purples and blues that works really well. I can sort of see why you would like them a bit straighter set like this, but not being a natural trimmer I would carry on!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful, Maureen! Gorgeous colors!

I vote to keep on going without backtracking (that is said without seeing the uncropped version of the photo - so if it really BOTHERS you, then fix it). Hugs!

Julierose said...

Oh love this "controlled chaos" setting you've chosen! Gives eye rest space..nice...hugs, Julierose

Janie said...

I think it's fabulous as is. Be courageous, you're on a roll!

Sew of Course said...

I really like this, and the more rigid setting shows off the free-cut blocks well. I would not unpick anything unless it seriously bothers you, I think it's great as it is. But then, I don't unpick unless it's really unavoidable...

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Lovely colour combo here, they all blend so nicely together.

Cathy said...

You kind of made me laugh at "semi-freecut" and with your "cheating". Looks like you definitely want to exert some sort of control (like me). Love the colors and what you have so far no matter how you got there! Nothing about it bothers me!

Ann said...

I haven't seen these sashed before. It really shows off the windmills. Your sashing looks perfect. Wow. Thanks for linking to AHIQ!

Lara B. said...

The contrast of your colorful and wild improv blocks, set in plain and straight sashing, makes for a very beautiful quilt! I don't see anything that needs unpicking. You did a great job with this!

Mystic Quilter said...

Thanks Janie! I have not pulled out the quick-unpick - just left it as is!

Sue said...

I just love looking at your rich colors, and am drawn to them. And I like the way you have set these blocks, too--like a paintbox, but the paints are all mixed up!

Mystic Quilter said...

Thank you Sue - I can't respond directly as you are showing as a no reply-comment blogger, sorry!
I was thinking up a name for this little quilt then had your comment - wouldn't "Paintbox" be a great name - would you mind?

Sally Trude said...

Love the blocks of color explosion tightly squared off in cement. But now I'm off to the eye doctor to get my eyes checked because for the life of me I can't see "the uneven bits."

Stephie said...

Fantastic colours! It's a great book isn't it? (And it looks perfectly square from here!)